Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Arosa Waffle Cafe



On Friday I visited the Frye Art Museum (for the first time) to see the Nicolai Fechin exhibit. Needless to say, it was amazing and I left inspired.

It had been a long time since I had been on First Hill and after my boyfriend and I had left we were hungry. I couldn't think of anywhere close by and then I remembered my dear friend, Hans.

When I was 5 years old, I knitted like a pro and thought I was really cool. The knit shop my mom used to take me to all the time was Tricoter in Madison Park and just a few doors down was Arosa Waffle Cafe. I went there every time I knitted to order a black forest ham panini, waffle and hot chocolate.

That one is still there but years later he opened up another one on First Hill and the last time I had seen him was 5+ years ago so I decided it was time for a visit. We ran there to make it before the 4 o'clock close and just made it.

I could tell that he recognized me but couldn't quite put the pieces together. When it was my turn to order, I said, "Do you remember me? I was the little knitter...tiny kid." Instantly, he gasped and put his hands on his mouth and said, "Oh my God! You're so grown up and beautiful! You were so little!" We hugged and I thought the guy was going to cry. I was so touched that I was almost going to cry.

It was such a great reunion and probably the highlight of my month (besides snagging a full time job. But that's a different kind of highlight). Everything tasted just as wonderful as I remember and brought back some great memories.

When I was leaving he thanked me for coming in to see him. It meant a lot to him and made him so happy.

Then my man Hans gave me two extra waffles for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment