Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ohana

We've all heard from Lilo and Stitch:

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind...or forgotten."

Growing up with my mom's family, I remember huge Thanksgivings and Christmases. Then, I don't know if it was because I found out Santa wasn't real (at age 13), I noticed that our family gatherings became less crowded.

We're much more disconnected with each other now that we, the cousins, are older. Not only that, but family beef advocates distance in relationships. The non practicing Mormons don't like the Mormons because they're self righteous and the Mormons don't like non practicing Mormons because they drink, cuss, or are too vulgar. The pro Hawai'ians frown on the whitewashed and then there's the cool cousins that the quiet cousins feel awkward being with.

Then there's me in the middle; friends with everyone. Sometimes I feel like I'm the common factor in the family besides Tutu and Papa.


I think that people forget family also requires an effort in friendship and effort means you put in time. It's true you can't choose your family and sometimes I legitimately want to move across the country and never have to deal with them again.

But honestly, I wish everyone would put all the BS aside, let go of grudges, and just be FAMILY.

Sure, they might: not be able to hang out all the time, talk behind your back, or be annoying. And you might will be closer with some family members than others but that doesn't mean you should exclude those other family members from your life completely (unless there are other more serious problems going on such as abuse.)

I am really into the show Supernatural and Bobby says this about family:


"Well boo hoo. I am so sorry your feelings are hurt...princess! Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good? Make you an apple pie, maybe? They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family."

Family will always have ups and down but it's getting through those trials that make the bond more than blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment