Monday, August 13, 2012

Relief Society

Now that I am officially qualified as a young female adult, I am required to attend Relief Society instead of Young Women.

The lesson today was called "How to Share the Gospel Effectively" and it was taught by one of my personal favorites, Sister Lucy Weber.


As always, her style is impeccable
Lucy used to be one of my YW counselors and I can say, without a doubt, my love affair with fashion solidified when she entered my life; I had finally found a real life style icon. I felt like I had finally seen the light.

Anyway. I really liked the lesson today and there are a few things said, straight from the book (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith), that I would like to share.

I have always believed in a non-preachy, non-critical, loving approach to talking about the LDS church and what we believe, etc. Here is an excerpt that I particularly love.
"We cannot drive these young people, and our neighbors and friends into the kingdom of heaven by scolding them and finding fault with them, but I want to tell you that we can love them into the direction of our Father in heaven, and by and by, perhaps, lead them there too. That is our privilege. Love is the great power to influence this world. Let us...go forth...with love and kindness unfeigned go among these men and women, whether they be in the Church or out of the Church, and find a way to touch their hearts and lead them into that pathway that will insure them a knowledge of the truth."
 I think a lot of Mormons get a little too crazy about trying to make everyone convert and in doing so they forget that everyone has their free agency; people are going to do what they choose. The only thing you can do is love people and be there for them. Encourage them. Looking down on them because they might have a nose piercing, haven't taken the sacrament lately, or are a different religion is...NOT what Jesus would have done, folks.

Mormons have a reputation to be critical and judgmental. And indeed some are. It's one of the main reasons why members become inactive (aka don't go to church anymore). Members often become so obsessed with the little things of others that they fail to see themselves in the big picture. You, yes you LDS members, are not here to rebuke people, you are here to show them the happiness that they can have through choosing the Gospel.

"I would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather love them into doing the right thing...The church is not one that goes about criticizing and finding fault with others, but in the spirit of loving kindness and the desire to be helpful, its representatives carry the Gospel message to the nations of the earth."

Hallelujerrrrrr. One love.
Amen.

(Supposed to be posted on Sunday. Whoops.)

No comments:

Post a Comment