Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Citizenship Oath

Today is my last day of fall quarter. I've only been taking two classes: political science and communications (mass media). It's more like one class though because it's a block. Honestly, I feel relieved as if this is my last day of school and I am considering rewarding myself later with a humbao. However, it's a little sad because I actually adore my peers in that class. Quality conversation makes for a good bond.

Anyway, we had to create a citizenship oath to perform in class that reflects how we will go forward after this class and become a better citizen. Problem with me is that I feel equally, if not more, loyal to Hawai'i than to the United States of America; Hawai'i is my motherland. So I decided to go with the idea that I'm marrying America. It might be an arranged marriage, but not one that I mind.


I, Lili'uolani Pickford, take you, the United States of America, to be my lawfully wedded country
I solemnly swear to educate myself and stand for justice so that I am able to love, honor, serve and keep you as long as we both shall live
I take you, with all of your faults and strengths, as I offer myself to you with my faults and strengths
I choose you, the United States of America, as the country with whom I will spend my life
For better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, and in war or peace

God bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment