Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pinterest Beauty Experiment (Part 2)

The other day I took a shower and on my way back to my room, my lovely family asked me why I was breaking out in hives. Fortunately, (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I was not breaking out. It was just my face showing its irritation of having been in a hot shower for an hour.

There's no denying it. Winter has taken it's toll on my face. Its been dry and red lately compared to its comfortable greasiness. So I woke up this morning with the initiative to take action because I am such a driven person. And I also have a few events to go to later tonight.

Like I mentioned in Part 1, I did some Google research. I found a few websites suggesting oatmeal masks to reduce redness and irritation. So that's what I went with instead of the egg yolk and lemon juice. I didn't have lemon juice anyway.


Oatmeal Facial Mask
plain, dry oatmeal
coconut milk
some sort of blending machine

Grab a handful of oats and put it in a blender. Blend it until it's as fine as you can get it.
I put it in a cup and used a hand blender thingy my mama had. Do what you need to do.

Pour a tablespoon of coconut milk in with the oats. Keep adding until you get a paste.
Again, improvise. You are the master creator. This is your masterpiece.

Blend all that together to make sure the oatmeal and milk become one.

As a last minute thought, I poured a little bit of the honey and brown sugar in with oatmeal and mixed it around.

Voila. Finito.

Now, for the actual experiment. So just as a fair warning, I'm going to show you ugly red pictures of myself so you can see the results and evaluate for yourself if this mask worked or not.

Wow, this is 10x scarier on the big screen.
You can see the dryness but not the red. Trust me though,
I was.
Me coming out of the shower.
Again, can't tell but my face was looking real irritated.
Maybe I should have used flash.

So after I took this photo, I went upstairs and applied my newly made face mask. The instant that I put the paste on my face, I felt a cooling sensation. My reaction: Oooh, this is a good sign.

Some tips: GO HAM. What I mean is just take three fingers, scoop that stuff and just smear your face with it like warpaint. You'll get better coverage that way.

I made the mistake of being timid and tried to do it in layers. If you keep trying to reapply on top of an already established layer, you'll end up picking up your previous work. So it's all or nothing.

Didn't put much on the sides of my mouth. I wanted the
ability to talk.
Waited 15-20 minutes and then washed it off with warm water.

I felt like getting the paste off was re-inflaming my face a little bit so I resorted to gently using a soft washcloth. This way I didn't have to keep going over the same spots on my face and inflame it again.

Final product
The photos don't really show the difference, but I totally felt it! My face wasn't dry and had a tight feeling like more pores were rejuvenated.

All in all, I give this oatmeal thing a two thumbs up. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment